Now , we know why Beyonce sampled her work. Indeed, it is Chimamanda time. News surfacing is that the BBC has named Chimamanda Adichie’s Americanah has been named by the BBC as the top book of 2013.
The 36 year old Nigerian writer received high praise for her love story. The book is described as being “supremely smart and funny”.
Americanah tells the story of Ifemelu, who leaves her boyfriend behind in Nigeria to study in the US. After her initial disorienting days as an immigrant and a string of humiliating jobs, she finds an outlet in a satiric blog. “Dear Non-American Black, when you make the choice to come to America, you become black,” she writes. She becomes a Princeton fellow and dates a Yale professor. After 13 years her heart brings her back to Lagos, where she is not ‘black’. She’s Igbo. And Americanah.
Americanah is Adichie’s third novel, after Purple Hibiscus and Half Of A Yellow Sun.
Check out the top 10 books of 2013 below.
1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. The Good Nurse by Charles Graeber
3. The Book of My Lives by Aleksandar Hemon
4. The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner
5. The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud
6. The Son by Philipp Meyer
7. Sparta by Roxana Robinson
8. Tenth of December by George Saunders
9. The Woman Who Lost Her Soul by Bob Shacochis
10. Mary Coin by Marisa Silver